Assessment & Consultancy
Sparkle in the Light specialises in assessment and consultancy work relating to trauma and / or social, emotional and mental health needs. Juliette has 15 years of experience working as an Educational Psychologist and is also able to carry out assessment and consultancy work in relation to a wide range of other additional or special educational needs, such as autism, dyslexia and complex neuro-developmental difficulties.
A school-based consultation usually consists of an observation of the student in their school setting, along with discussion with parents and key school staff, if appropriate. Juliette may also work individually with the student. In this time, Juliette will talk or play with the student to elicit their views. Sometimes more formal assessments may be used.
Social, Emotional & Mental Health
Juliette offers a consultancy service to schools, local authorities or strategic groups on issues relating to the social, emotional and mental health needs of children and young people.
Pupils who have a low self-esteem and a poor sense of personal well being tend to be less engaged in their learning objectives. They spend more time and energy focused on the source of their inner distress and utilise energy to protect themselves from hurt, insecurely seeking or avoiding people or tasks, rather than using their energy to interact with their environment in a more meaningful way. This represents a significant barrier to their success in school, as well as their lifelong potential.
Juliette endeavours to use a strengths-based approach with schools, families and settings to enable each young person to fulfil their full potential.
Juliette also offers reflective supervision for practitioners working with vulnerable children and young people in schools.
To make a referral, or to request educational psychology involvement from Juliette, please contact us.
Senior Lead Testimonial
“Juliette has been a great asset to our school and has supported a number of our children…She has also provided excellent training and supervision to our Learning Partners…so that we are better equipped to support their needs. Juliette is knowledgeable and experienced in SEMH. She is inspirational; providing us with advice, solutions and interventions when needed.”
“Can’t thank you enough for this morning, I knew I could see it but seemed like nobody else was listening! You don’t know how happy this has made me today and now finally I can make my child happy by getting him…the support that he needs! Once again thank you from the bottom of my heart to the top of my heart .”
Parent / Carer Consultations
Juliette offers free initial consultations to parents or carers (usually an hour and a half long) to support them with effective parenting techniques. Juliette advises on a range of self-help books or online programmes that can be useful in providing parents or carers with the tools to better connect with their children, understand their behaviour, and improve their wellbeing and resilience. In general, Juliette takes an approach that aims to:
1. Support parents and their children to validate & normalise difficult emotions experienced using ‘Emotion Coaching’ approaches, alongside Feelings and / or Dreams Diaries.
2. Support parents and their children to notice the thoughts experienced about difficult events and to develop greater resiliency using cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) approaches and mindfulness techniques.
3. Support parents and their children to develop stronger bonds with each other through the use of daily interactive play, based on attachment theory and the principles of attunement.
Useful Books and Programmes for Parents / Carers
- Raising an Emotionally Intelligent Child by John Gottman & Joan DeClaire – A key parenting book for all parents
- Creating Loving Attachments: Parenting with PACE to Nurture Confidence and Security in the Troubled Child by Dan Hughes & Kim Golding – A parenting book that offers advice around ‘therapeutic parenting’ and the use of PACE
- Love Bombing: Reset Your Child’s Emotional Thermostat by Oliver James – Advice & techniques for parents to help them to reconnect with their children, thereby improving wellbeing and behaviour
- “What to Do When” series… by Dawn Huebner – A CBT-based series of books on different topics such as worry or anger
- Stop, Breathe, Think app (Free Mindfulness app)
- The Calm app (Mindfulness app)
- Calm harm app (for self-harm)
For further recommended reading resources, please see the GHLL website.